A commercially endorsed RYA Yachtmaster certificate is the benchmark qualification for professsional yacht and superyacht captains and is a passport to worldwide employment in the yachting industry.
Recreational skippers should consider a Yachtmaster qualification as part of their Duty of Care to the crew.
Yachtmaster certificates are issued at three levels.
Yachtmaster Coastal is restricted to operations within 20 miles of port.
Yachtmaster Offshore is valid for use up to 150 miles from a safe haven.
Yachtmaster Ocean is unrestricted by distance.
If you are able to commit to a full time programme our Yachtmaster traineeship packages provide an efficient and reliable route to certification. and can be customised to suit indiividual requirements.
If you prefer to schedule a selection of Yachtmaster short courses we can create a 'personal training plan' to suit your needs.
All candidates for Yachtmaster examinations require the following.
- Radio operator's certificate (a restricted VHF or higher grade of certificate)
- First aid certificate (must be on the RYA approved list)
- Theory knowledge to RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory standard
- Boat handling and navigation ability to Yachmaster practical skills standard.
- Relevant seatime and qualifying passages logged in the 10 years prior to examination
Yachtmaster Coastal candidates will need the following logged experience.
- Seatime (30 days on board, two days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours)
- For holders of the RYA Coastal Skipper certificate the seatime requirement is reduced to 20 days on board, two days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours
Yachtmaster Offshore candidates must show the following minimum experience.
- Seatime (50 days on board, five days as skipper, 2500 miles)
- Qualifying passages (five passages over 60 miles, including two overnight and two as skipper)
For commercial use of a Yachtmaster certificate you will also need the following.
- An RYA, ISAF or STCW approved Sea Survival qualification.
- RYA online Professional Practices and Responsibilities course (PPR).
- A valid certificate of medical fitness.
- An RYA diesel engine certificate (Australia only)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (Australia only)